Saturday, January 24, 2009

The Last Chapter...

I’m not ending this blog or dying anytime soon (as best I know). I thought about the title for this post a bit and was afraid in this era of only reading headlines someone might get the wrong message. So we’ll get that out of the way right now.

Actually, I wanted to write about the last chapter of books...really good books that you have trouble leaving. Jude and I are reading the Complete Tales and Poems of Winnie-the-Pooh by A. A. Milne. Jude at times seems more interested in what page we are on in the BIG blue book than the actual story. Nevertheless, I thoroughly enjoy reading these stories so I press on even when he doesn’t seem to be listening. Despite having read these delightful stories before, I was dreading getting to the last chapter of the House at Pooh Corner. Even the title “In Which Christopher Robin and Pooh Come to an Enchanted Place, and We Leave Them There” tells you that you better have your tissues ready. And I basically sobbed the last 2 pages of the chapter.

John came up from downstairs, and explaining my tears I said gasping for air between sobs, “That is so sad.” He scuffed, “It’s Winnie-the-pooh.” “No,” I said, “it’s about growing up.” I don’t know but the thought of Christopher Robin being to big to play with his stuffed bear is the saddest thought to me. But I am also the 40 year old, who told her mother at the age of 5 that I never wanted to grow up. We were sitting in my Dad’s recliner, and she was holding me in her lap. I still remember the sadness I felt because even then I knew that it was inevitable.

I have experienced in the hardest way possible the idea that we cannot cling to what we love or expect things not to change, and still have so much to master in this area…....obviously.


A few…oh well… several, of my favorite lines from this story…
“What I like best in the whole word is Me and Piglet going to see You, and You saying, ‘ What about a little something?’ and Me saying, ‘Well, I shouldn’t mind a little something, should you, Piglet,’ and it being a hummy sort of day outside, and birds singing,”
“I like that too,” said Christopher Robin, “but what I like doing best is Nothing.”
“How do you do Nothing?” asked Pooh, after he had wondered for a long time.
“Well, it’s when people call out at you just as you’re going off to do it, What are you going to do, Christopher Robin, and you say, Oh, nothing, and then you go and do it.”…..
“Pooh!”
“Yes?” said Pooh.
“When I’m ----when----Pooh!”
“Yes, Christopher Robin?”
“I’m not going to do Nothing any more.”
“Never again?”
“Well, not so much. They don’t let you.”
Pooh waited for him to go on, but he was silent again.
“Yes, Christopher Robin?” said Pooh helpfully.
“Pooh, when I’m ---you know—when I’m not doing Nothing, will you come up here sometimes?”
“Just Me?”
“Yes, Pooh.”
“Will you be here too?’
“Yes, Pooh, I will be, really. I promise I will be, Pooh.”
“That’s good,” said Pooh.
“Pooh, promise you won’t forget about me, ever. Not even when I’m a hundred.”
Pooh thought for a little.
“How old shall I be then?”
“Ninety-nine.”
Pooh nodded.
“I promise,” he said.
Still with his eyes on the world Christopher Robin put out a hand and felt for Pooh’s paw.
-A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner

By the way, Christopher Robin Milne died at the age of 76. Hard to imagine...

No comments: