Monday, February 23, 2009

fun things we've made

It's show and tell time.  Here are some projects that we've completed recently...

I love the Picasso-like face on this snowman that Jude made at a recent storytime...




And here are some valentine's gifts I made for family and friends this year....

Travel tissue holders became a favorite project. I used this tutorial to get the size and a method, but I decided to change the design to make them more interesting. They are quick and satisfying. I love combining fabrics so each one was a real treat except the one I did with silk lining because an edge frayed around the opening. Oh well, now I have a travel tissue holder.



A red rosette pin for my mom made from felted sweater scraps and a fabric covered button.


A lavender rosette pin that ended up looking a bit different when all was said and done. I added two more pins to the center in different shades of pink and purple.


Late Christmas presents....
I used a pattern to get started on this felted purse, but I had to modify the original design quite a bit since I was using felt and wanted to do a couple of things differently.  I used a thrifted abercrombie and fitch belt for the strap and added a flap for the clasp.  The original design is called the 1-hour bag.  Ahem...it took me 3 weeks, but I have been planning this bag for over a year.  I love the juxtaposition of the sandals with the felted wool.  It's like the little reminder of summer that we all need in the winter.





This is the third fold-able shopping bag that I have made using this tutorial.  I think I finally got it right this time.  I finally understood all the directions which seemed to help a lot.



And for fun...
A hat for Jude.  I used and followed this well-written tutorial.  There were some tricky parts to this design, but the designer really explained it well and made the project easy-peasy.  And it makes my guy look adorable so I'm happy with this one! (Notice Elmo on stage in the background.)

"I think there is something necessary and life-giving about 'creative work'.  A state of excitement.  And it is like a faucet: nothing comes unless you turn it on, and the more you turn it on, the more comes." ~Brenda Ueland

1 comment:

Jenn said...

That hat's awesome! I love it! It totally suits Jude. Give him a guitar and a hug for me. :)