Saturday, February 21, 2009

the parent-child dynamic

A friend of mine who is Greek sent me the link for this short movie.  I found it so touching, especially since I know so many people who are taking on new roles with their parents.  It is so interesting that as we age many of us will become dependent on others just as we were when we were children.  

Jude will often repeat the same thing over and over until I say exactly the same thing back to him.  He just wants to make sure that I am really listening.  That I am there.  Admittedly, I let a lot distract me.  One of the things he will say many, many times a day is "I love you, mommy." He uses it like "thank you".  May we all have the patience and grace to “just be” with our children and our parents and appreciate them for just who they are.  




You don't really understand human nature unless you know why a child on a merry-go-round will wave at his parents every time around - and why his parents will always wave back. ~William D. Tammeus

No comments: