Tuesday, March 10, 2009

unexpected generosity

Saturday afternoon, Jude and I went into town to do some shopping. Our first stop was the garden center to look at their amazing spring exhibit in the greenhouse…a fairy garden complete with a waterfall and pond. I love fairy gardens and have a plan for my own one day (more on that once it actually manifests). Jude was enamored with the little fairies and miniature scenes of the garden. But he was completely captivated by the webkinz animals inside the store. I told him I didn’t have the money for an animal (which was the truth) and reminded him of the mountains of stuffed animals we had at home, but he was not satisfied. He left the garden center crying.

Our next stop was the discount grocery store. I only had a few items to get and we were back out in the parking lot in no time. I was trying my best to keep Jude from falling out of the cart and unload our groceries into our car, when the people who parked next to us approached. The passenger, an older woman, stood watching us. I thought that she was waiting to get by the cart which was parked between the two cars. Even though my thought was “how much room do you need?” I managed a smile and scooted the cart over as far as I could. She approached Jude and slipped $5 into his coat pocket and said “you buy a treat”. I looked up and shamefully said, “thank you.” And she said “I love to spoil children.”

I put Jude in his car seat and pulled the money out of his pocket. I showed it to him (because I don’t really think he understood what happened). I told him that the woman had given him this money and he could do whatever he wanted with it. At this point, I was prepared to drive back to the garden center because after all fate was obviously on Jude’s side this day. So I asked him, “What do you want to do with this money?” Maybe it was the way I worded the question, but I was surprised by the answer.

In his tiniest little boy voice with the biggest grin on his face, he said, “Give it to daddy.” I asked him if he was sure. He continued to talk about it on the way home. He said, “When we get home we need to go over to Daddy’s shop so I can give him this money.” And he fell asleep holding the money in his hand.

When he woke up, he cried out, “Daddy! Daddy! Daddy!”

"Money is like manure; it's not worth a thing unless it's spread around encouraging young things to grow." ~ Thorton Wilder

3 comments:

Lori said...

Thanks for stopping by my website; I'm glad I came to visit yours.

That story is so sweet. How old is your little boy? I love his name.

-Lori @ http://www.thetowells.com

Lisa@BlessedwithGrace said...

Oh WOW is perfect for you blog title and this post. How sweet that your child thought of someone rather than himself. Wow. That is awesome. Thanks for sharing such a sweet story.

happylittlehouse said...

What a lovely story! Thank you for sharing.