Wednesday, April 22, 2009

bowing down to T. rex

Every morning I try to wake up early so I have time to pray, meditate and read. It doesn’t always happen, but when I do manage to it does make a difference in my day. One of the prayers I do in the morning is a body prayer.

One morning I was doing my prayer and it was still dark, but I noticed there was something on the floor in front of me. It was Jude’s 10” tall Tyrannosaurus rex and his beady eyes were staring right at me. I was caught in this moment of being deep in prayer and at the same time wanting to laugh at the ridiculousness of trying to do that in midst of the chaos that is my house.

Two days ago I sat at the kitchen table reading before any one was up. I usually read the Bible and other spiritual texts. There he was again on the table looking at me. And again I chuckled at the thought of this dinosaur showing up when I am trying my best to be mindful and connected to the Divine.

The next day, I noticed T. rex on the kitchen counter looking in the sink at the dirty dishes as if to shame me into doing them. And I had a moment of insight that this is exactly what mindfulness is all about. It is not hiding away from the world and its messiness. It is facing it head on taking it in with all it has to offer regardless of what that is…dish after dish, toy after toy, breathe after breathe. It is a kind of mommy mindfulness I suppose.

The prayer…
“I step into the embrace of the Beloved (step forward) to receive and to give (cup hands at heart and extend them forward). I put behind me all egotistically thoughts and worldly concerns (move open hands to either side of your head). I open my heart (hands over heart) with thanksgiving and praise (extend arms up). I surrender to You (bow at waist), now and always (bow with head to floor), at one (kneel up on knees) with You (head back to floor).”

Oops...this is what happens when T. rex spends too much time hanging out at the sink...


“Before enlightenment; chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment; chop wood, carry water.” ~Zen proverb

No comments: