Monday, May 18, 2009

cake


Today under blue skies with the most perfect puffy white clouds we celebrated a birthday. Well, a few knew we were actually celebrating two birthdays. One of Jude’s friends, Scarlett, turned 2 today and invited a crew of kids over for an art party. Today is also Bennett’s birthday. He would have been 7.


Much to be grateful for today… I am grateful that Scarlett turned two and gave us a chance to celebrate this beautiful day being creative with joyful children.




We came home and decided to have a party for Bennett too. We made a flower cake from all the flowers blooming around our house right now. I used the top to my bamboo steamer for the form. The bottom recently came apart at the seams and I saved the top because I thought there might be something I could use it for, and it happened to be sitting on our shoe cabinet when I came in the house looking for something to use as a form. Since it was a windy day we used glue to affix the flowers. We used a special quilt that was given to us for Bennett and broke out a new tea set for a party.


When I asked Jude what he thought about making Bennett a cake with flowers, he was so excited. We never really talked to him much about Bennett because we didn’t know what he would understand. But we had this amazing conversation…
J: does Bennett like yellow flowers?
M: yes, I think he does.
J: is Bennett my cousin?
M: no, Bennett is your brother.
J: (big grin on Jude’s face) what does he do with me?
M: he watches over you.
John walked out of the house, and Jude ran over to him saying, “we are making a cake for Bennett.”
J: is she one angel?
John: yes, he is an angel


The golden moments in the stream of life rush past us and we see nothing but sand; the angels come to visit us, and we only know them when they are gone. ~George Elliot

2 comments:

Jenn said...

Beautiful flower cake! Happy birthday to Bennett!

Michelle said...

My boys have an angel who watches over them too; their sister Norah. Thank you so much for sharing this. It helps heal my heart to see other moms honoring their child's memory like this.

Wishing you peace,
~Michelle