Wednesday, May 6, 2009

here we grow

Well, I finally had a peek into Phoebe’s nest and look what I saw…

It's little out of focused but I didn't want to disturb the nest too much.  This post is more of a garden journal entry more than anything. I took advantage of the brief break in the rain yesterday to do some planting and weeding, lots of weeding. The rain is making everything grow...our unmowed grass, the dandelions, the garlic mustard, and thankfully my second batch of peas are finally coming up. Yesterday, I planted Chinese cabbage, red cabbage, celery, kale. It's probably a bit late for these, but we’ll see. Here are some pictures of the garden carefully angled so the weeds don't detract from work that was accomplished!

celery

chinese cabbage and red lettuce

While I was working quietly, a bald eagle flew circles low above the creek. It was being followed by a smaller hawkish/eaglish bird. I’m wondering if it was an immature eagle.

"He loved the earth and all things of the earth.. He knew that man's heart away from nature becomes hard, he knew the lack of respect for growing, living things soon led to the lack of respect for humans too." -Luther Standing Bear Land of the Spotted Eagle

No comments: