Sunday, May 10, 2009

ma

He only said it once.  In fact, it was the only word he ever said.  And for some reason, after not thinking about this particular memory for a long time, the image of him sitting on the bed looking up at me with extended arms popped into my head Friday night.  And an endless flow of tears streamed down either side of my face.  It was if some dam broke.  I wasn’t consciously holding them back, but here they were.  And the funny thing was the deep aching pain that often accompanies these tears wasn’t there.  They were just tears and happiness for the boy he was.


 So this weekend leading up to mother’s day, I have been so grateful for both my boys.  They opened up my heart in a way I never knew was possible helping me to become more compassionate, mindful, selfless, and joyful.  And there were plenty of tears too, but how could I ever truly appreciate all that I have the way that I do if I hadn’t experienced all that I have.   No other people have taught me more about loving and being loved the way my two boys have except my own mother.  So I honor the three of them today.


I ran over to my mom’s cottage this morning to get her a cup of her coffee and was awestruck with how beautiful it was.  Again I thought about the gratitude I had for Bennett and Jude.  I looked down at my legs and a tiny blue spring azure fluttered about and followed me a bit.  This brought a smile to my face , joy to my heart, and filled me with overflowing love.  I hope you feel it too.  

"There is only one happiness in life, to love and be loved." -George Sand


No comments: