Thursday, June 4, 2009

garden fairies


I was working out in the garden reclaiming a section of a perennial bed that jumped its border. It overtook a section of the garden that I double dug a couple of years ago. That was lush, beautiful soil then, but now the weeds were rampant. It was a little painful to see all that hard work undone so quickly. Fortunately, the soil was loose and friable so the weeding went quickly. Nevertheless, Jude had it with gardening for the day and was tired of my attention being so fixed on one thing besides him for such an extended period of time, and said, “I don’t want to garden anymore.” To which I replied, “Well, mama’s got get this garden under control because I didn’t take care of it for a couple of years and now the weeds are taking it over. The garden fairies aren’t coming to visit anymore because it looks like I don’t care about it.”

A moment later, I discovered an enormous patch of wild black raspberries growing at the far end of the same perennial bed. I had to eat my words. The fairies have definitely been here and they couldn’t have picked a better spot. I was planning on converting that section into a perennial food growing bed with asparagus and berries. I’m halfway done and I didn’t even have to do anything!

In case you are wondering how I could miss an enormous patch of raspberries...I've learned to completely ignore large areas of our property and take great delight in nature’s ability to thrive when I do so. In this case, my neglect will reward us with several boxes of black raspberries in a few weeks. I can almost taste it now.

This is officially my 50th post, and I have some exciting news to share tomorrow so be sure to check back.

For now I will leave you with this inspiring quote that earthy crafty mama shared on her blog this morning...
"One can never consent to creep when one feels the impulse to soar." ~Helen Keller

1 comment:

Michelle said...

Hi there! Thanks so much for the linky :-)

Aren't garden fairies the best?!?! I am sooo jealous of the blackberries...what will you be making with them?